Saturday, August 11, 2012

Summer Vacation

School is about ready to start again and like many parents the year revolves around the school year.  Because I work for the school district, it still applies to me.  Even with the Florida heat, I love summer.  It's time for swimming in the ocean (yes I am a Floridian and from November to March, I don't swim in the ocean), going boating in the Keys or elsewhere, and evening picnicking on the beach. It's really not nice in the evening.  The cool breeze comes in from the ocean and it's wonderful.



 Delray Beach has their Fourth of July fireworks off the ocean and it's the best.  We get there early with a picnic, set the towels or chairs, go swimming for a while, play on the beach, and then we lay back and enjoy the light show.


I still enjoy taking summer vacation and this year was no exception.  My husband and I are newbie sailors.  We have a small sailboat that we can trailer and go around the State of Florida.  We  have gone to Tampa and Ana Maria, the Florida Keys, Stuart and Ft. Pierce, and Biscayne National Park.  It's real camping I tell you, no luxury.  The boat is small and cramped inside without a stove.  We cook everything on the outside BBQ, and take our showers outside (I keep my bathing suit on thank you very much...)  It's really great to get away for 2 or 3 days.


This year, we took a big leap and chartered a 38 feet catamaran in the British Virgin Islands for ten days.  Our sons came with us, including one of the girlfriends.  A nice size boat, it had 3 bedrooms (berths) inside kitchen (the galley), 2 bathroom (heads) and an inside shower.  It was really great to sail from island to island.  The water is so clear and blue, so much sea life everywhere and the dramatic landscape of the islands.  We went snorkeling at the Indians, Dead Man's Bay, The Caves, and White Bay.  Explored the salt lakes, climbed Monkey Point, and hiked the Bath at Virgin Gorda.  We did little shopping except for food as everything is so expensive but it is so beautiful over there.  I love being able to chart our path and say "hey let's check that island over there!"



Now that we are pros...... hum hum, we can start planning the next trip (minus the kids though, but friends are welcome).  Where shall we go???








No comments:

Post a Comment