Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Language of Fabric

Ok, I admit it; I LOOOOVE fabric.  I especially like to explore fabric stores when I visit a new country because I feel these unique pieces reflect that country's culture.  Most country have their own specialty and custom fabric, pattern, or craft.   It's a wonderful way to bring back a little souvenir after a special trip.

When I travel, I have so much fun exploring fabric stores (I know... I'm weird!).  When I went to France, OMG, I was in heaven.... so many fabrics, so little money, and not enough suitcases....  My sister had to pull me out of the store.  Paris has a wonderful area in Montmartre, just at the bottom of  the "Basilique du Sacré Coeur" where you will find a multitude of fabric stores and decorating stores..... Gosh I want to go back!  I discovered some wonderful Toile de Jouy which is a traditional French country style fabric.   In the south of France, in a pretty town called Aix-en-Provence, I found bright and earthy cotton fabrics that reminded me of summer, great food, and the "Joie de Vivre" (love of life) the French embrace.  Yes I bought a lot of fabric and I wish I could have bought more....


French Country Lumbar Pillow

In Panama, Central America, the women of the Kuna tribe are some of the best embroiderers I have ever seen!  Their handywork is very detailed and they use such tiny little stitches.  It's amazing!!!  They make beautiful design pieces called "Mola" that they incorporate into their clothings.  When they tire of it, they take it off and sell them.  (Although I'm sure that they also make them just for sale).   I bought several  to make throw pillows for myself and received so many compliments that since then I have purchased more for the shop.  They add a beautiful and unique pop of color to any decor.


Two Toucans Tropical Pillow
The Caribbean islands (I'm from Guadeloupe) use a madras fabric plaid that is incorporated into pillows, curtains, chair covers, tablecloths and a host of other items.  Madras originated in India, in a town now called Chennai (but formally known as Madras).  Madras was imported to the Caribbean islands in the 1800's by indentured Indian servants.  Later this colorful fabric was adopted by the island slaves and gradually incorporated into their traditional costumes.  From the Dominican Republic and Haiti, Jamaica, St. Lucia, all the way down to Trinidad, you will find a multitude of colors variations that identify the islands.


Yellow and Orange Plaid Pillow Cover
Fun Island Plaid
  


In Guatemala, natives hand-weave their fabrics using a treadle loom.  This machine was introduced by the Spaniards to the Mayan weavers. Another one is the backstrap loom which is even older and used long before the arrival of the Spaniards.  The material is very colorful and can be used in so many ways.  I hope to be getting some soon.




Recently, I have worked with Chitao, a colorful weaved fabric from Brazil that a good friend of mine brought me back.  The Chitao is a floral print originally from India (wow they invented a lot of fabrics!) and imported into Brazil but the Brazilian modified it by adding bright large flowers.   Chitao is used in home decors as well as in dresses.


Brazilian Tropical Print Cosmetic Pouch


I can't wait to see where my next trip will take me and what treasures I will find!!!   Do you have a style of fabric or embroidery that you want to share?  I would love to read your experiences.

1 comment: